× Error!

Mutual Exchanges


Do you rent your home from a council, a housing association or other not-for-profit landlord? Would you leave that home empty if you move out?


If so, you could find somewhere quickly by exchanging your home with another tenant using our new, free mutual exchange service House Exchange. The website helps you to search, find matches and contact other council or housing association residents who want to swap their homes.


Free to join

Many Manchester landlords, and practically all those in the Manchester Move Partnership (the group of not-for-profit landlords that advertise on Manchester Move), use House Exchange to give you a much wider choice of homes.

Use House Exchange to look for a home-exchange partner in the city - or anywhere in the country. It's quick and easy to join. Say exactly what you're looking for and where you want to live, and be matched with people who are looking for a home like yours.

Click to register for House Exchange


Once you have registered we will need to check your details before we can approve them, please note this may take up to 5 working days.


We will not unreasonably reject an application, but if you are unsure whether you are eligible for a mutual exchange you can see more information on mutual exchange rules below.


Once you’ve registered, the website will automatically match you up with people that are interested in a property like yours - You can even build Multi Swaps!


If you have any questions about House Exchange, contact your own landlord.


Guidance for tenants who would like to exchange their home

Q. Can I exchange my Home?

If you are a council or housing association tenant you may have the right to apply to exchange your home. This is subject to certain conditions; you must have lived in your property for a minimum of 12 months, your property must be in good condition, you must have a clear rent account to exchange with another housing association, or council tenant and have not been involved in anti social behaviour.


Q. Who can I swap my home with?

Another tenant of a Manchester Move landlord

A tenant of any council

A tenant of any registered social landlord.


Q. Can I move outside of Manchester?

Yes, you can move outside Manchester. House Exchange allows you to apply for an exchange with council and housing association tenants across the U.K.


Q. What do I do when I have found somebody to exchange with?

When you have found a possible swap partner, you need to contact them yourself to see if they are interested and to arrange a suitable time to view each others homes.

If you both agree to swap, you and your exchange partner should ask your respective landlords for permission. If you have a joint tenancy, both of you will have to agree to the mutual exchange. The same will apply to your exchange partners.